They say the eyes are the window to the soul…for better or worse! Those laugh lines may hint at memories of life’s joyful moments, but they can also reveal your age all too easily. Here’s why.
The skin around the eyes, called the periocular area, is much different than the skin on the rest of your face. It’s actually less than a millimeter thick—10 times thinner than the skin on your face!
The periocular area is also poreless, meaning it doesn’t produce as much natural moisture factor from sebum. Though sebum secretion is often a challenge for those with blemish-prone skin, it’s also one of your best anti-aging features, helping keep skin healthy and smooth. That’s why the lack of oil glands or pores in this area can be problematic and why eye creams are vital for providing appropriate amounts of moisture. Skipping eye cream can contribute to a more accelerated aging pace resulting in loose elasticity, fine lines, dehydration and periorbital edema (aka puffiness).
In addition, the thin nature of this area—which only becomes thinner as we age—makes it especially vulnerable to environmental damage and photodamage caused by UV rays from the sun, which can destroy collagen and deplete your skin’s ability to produce more. UV damage is also the catalyst in creating dark circles surrounding the eyes, also called periorbital hyperpigmentation. This can increase the thinning of the skin and create ptosis, when the upper eyelid droops over the eye.
The benefits of using an eye cream
So, is there really a difference between regular moisturizers and eye creams? The answer is a resounding yes! Eye creams typically differ from regular moisturizers in a few specific ways:
- Eye creams are almost always (and should be) fragrance free to reduce the risk of irritation.
- Eye creams are usually formulated at a lower molecular weight than moisturizers, which means they can penetrate the delicate eye area at a more accelerated rate.
- The complex formula of an eye cream is designed to target the specific concerns related to the eye area, while a moisturizer targets a larger area and is less specialized.
Seeing eye to eye
It’s best to begin incorporating an eye cream into your skincare routine before wrinkles appear, since it’s easier to prevent signs of aging than to correct them (we’re looking at you, 20 somethings!)
Here are some questions to ask when searching for the right eye cream to target your skin’s needs and achieve long-term results.
Are the active ingredients used in the product formula appropriate for the delicate eye area?
Here are a few common ingredients you should look for in eye creams:
- Peptides are short chains of amino acid sequences and the building blocks of proteins. Peptides work like glue to keep strands of collagen together, which in turn facilitates skin cell repair and rejuvenation, brightens dark circles and improves the appearance of puffy eyes. Peptides are also known to have a lifting effect, which tightens and improves skin firmness.
- Antioxidants such as vitamin C play an essential role in collagen biosynthesis, the body’s natural process of producing collagen within the dermis. Vitamin C is also responsible for helping reduce dark circles by strengthening the skin and reducing the visibility of blood vessels in the eye area.
- Ceramides are an essential component of the stratum corneum (the outermost layer of the epidermis). Clinical studies have shown that ceramides improve skin hydration, reduce transepidermal water loss and increase hydration levels lost naturally in the aging process.
Is the product designed to target your specific concerns?
Not all eye creams are the same! Make sure the product you select addresses your top two primary concerns. Eye treatment products are complex and are designed to specifically target a certain concern around the eyes, such as puffiness, dark circles or fine lines.
Which Sanitas eye treatment is best for you?
This bestseller, widely considered the holy grail of eye treatments, is your one and done! We combine nine (yes, we said nine) different peptides with vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and ceramides to address the unique needs of the eye area. A multi-tasker for all things eye, it checks all the boxes: relaxes fine lines and wrinkles, supports collagen, tightens, and diminishes dark circles and puffiness. Perfect for those who are already starting to see crow’s feet and those pesky “elevens” starting to creep in.
Potent yet gentle, this gateway eye treatment stops the signs of aging in their tracks. Lightweight and great for all skin types (even sensitive), it’s chock full of antioxidants to help protect and prevent the signs of aging from making an appearance. Vitamins C and E layered with hyaluronic acid and beta glucan combat and diminish dark circles and puffiness, visibly brighten, and firm and tighten the delicate eye area.